Blog

Dogs Drinking Pool Water: Chlorine Risks

On hot days, it’s common to see dogs quenching their thirst by sipping water from the tank.
Do dogs have permission to consume pool water, though? Here’s what you need to know if you learn that your dog drinks chlorinated water.

Is Pool Water Safe for Dogs to Drink?

Don’t freak out if you find that your dog has consumed a little bit of pool water. If the levels of chlorine in your pool are in a healthy balance, there is a good chance that your canine companion won’t experience any adverse effects. The majority of swimming pools have a low chlorine level, and as a result, little levels of chlorine in these pools are often not toxic to dogs.

Having saying that, an excessive amount of anything may be an issue. If your dog consumes an excessive amount of chorinated water, this might cause irritation, which could potentially lead to vomiting and erosion of the esophagus.

You could believe that the lower the chlorine content, the better the water would be. Try to rethink this. If there is an excessive amount of chlorine in the pool water, it might be harmful. or too low. The water in an untreated pool may be home to several types of bacteria, as well as algae and parasites. If you discover that you need to perform a chemical shock in order to rebalance the pool, you should make sure to keep your dog away from the pool until the balance is safe.

Bromine is a more costly alternative to chlorine that, all things considered, is better for the health of dogs.

The chlorine pills themselves provide the greatest potential for hazardous exposure. Be sure to put these things away in a secure location where your dog won’t be able to get to them.

How to Stop Dogs Drinking Pool Water

If you observe that your dog is constantly drinking water from the swimming pool,

  • Ensure that there is a bowl of clean water that is conveniently located for your dog to drink from at all times. If you notice that your dog is not interested in drinking from their bowl of water, you may want to consider purchasing an economical pet drinking fountain that agitates the water.

  • Be on the lookout for symptoms of heat exhaustion, including overheating, dehydration, and heat stroke. If you are going swimming, then it is likely that the temperature is rather high outdoors.
  • If you see that your pet is continuing to drink from the pool, you should bring them inside for a rest.
  • You may reroute your dog’s attention using the fundamentals of obedience training, stimulate them with a new toy, or call them to their area so they are not near the water.

Symptoms of Water Intoxication in Dogs

What should I do if I find that my dog is drinking too much water? Despite its rarity, water intoxication in dogs may occur if the dog consumes an excessive amount of water in a short period of time, and this is true regardless of the source of the water.

The following are some of the symptoms of water intoxication:

  • vomiting
  • lethargy
  • bloating
  • a lack of control or coordination (including stumbling, falling, or staggering)
  • restlessness
  • drooling
  • pale gums
  • dilated pupils
  • glazed eyes

If you notice that your dog is exhibiting any of these symptoms, it is imperative that you contact your veterinarian immediately and bring your dog in for examination.

What About the Beach?

If your dog drinks even a little amount of seawater while they are having fun at the beach, they might end up with diarrhea. If it’s any higher than that, it might be deadly. Consuming excessive amounts of saltwater may lead to a condition known as salterwater poisoning. The most important thing you can do is guarantee that your dog always has access to clean water and drinks a sufficient amount of it on a daily basis. Toxic exposure to saltwater may cause gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea and vomiting, as well as weakness and convulsions. After spending the day at the beach, if your pet is exhibiting any strange behaviour, you should contact your veterinarian right once.

In addition, lakes and ponds may be hazardous environments. Poisoning from blue-green algae may be fatal for dogs even if they do nothing more than go for a swim and accidentally consume water while having fun. During the warm seasons, this bacterium may be discovered in still bodies of freshwater. If the pond or pool is not properly maintained, blue-green algae may also develop in it. This is especially true with backyard ponds.

To summarize, you should never allow your dogs to drink straight from bodies of water such as swimming pools, beaches, ponds, or lakes. If you believe that your dog has consumed water that contains toxins, you should wash them well, provide them with a lot of clean water, phone your veterinarian, and keep an eye out for any changes in their behavior.

If you have any questions, ask them in a remark on the website https://wtonlinepetsupplies.com

Michael Hogan

San Gabriel Valley California Bird Seed Delivery. Huge selection of Pet and Wild Seed & Food. Free delivery. Pick up option also avaulable.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button