Do cats have a sweet tooth? Theobromine is a chemical found in chocolate. Both caffeine and theobromine are stimulants and belong to the same family. It can excite the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system, and is bad for the kidneys. So it’s not a good idea to give chocolate to your cat. Explore this claim in more detail by reading the wtonlinepetsupplies.com article below.
Why Is Chocolate Bad for Cats?
Much though sugar, fat, and xylitol, which is a sugar replacement, are all bad for cats, chocolate has two elements that are even more dangerous to an animal’s health: caffeine and theobromine, which is a plant alkaloid that occurs naturally in cacao. Neither of these substances are beneficial for cats. According to a research that was published in the journal Frontiers in Pharmacology, theobromine in particular is a substance that has been shown to be toxic for most animals, including cats.
The cocoa plant is referred to by its Latin name “Theobroma cacao”, which translates to “food for the gods,” and roasted coffee beans are a delectable snack in and of themselves, but the same quality that makes chocolate so irresistible to people is also what makes it so hazardous to animals.
Why Are These Ingredients so Dangerous for Animals?
Stimulants include coffee and theobromine, which are the two primary offenders. When caffeine is absorbed into the body of your cat, it turns into a toxic substance that can cause “vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, restlessness, and an increased heart rate,” as explained by Banfield Pet Hospital. Caffeine is found in a wide variety of foods and beverages in addition to chocolate. When consumed, theobromine has effects that are similar to those of caffeine.
How Much Chocolate Is Too Much?
Your cat should not consume any chocolate, no matter how little it is. Your four-legged pal should avoid eating any kind of chocolate, including dry cocoa powder and baking chocolate, which are the most toxic forms of chocolate because of the high amount of theobromine they contain; dark, semi-sweet, and milk chocolate; and even white chocolate, which contains only a small percentage of cocoa.
However, the degree of toxicity is proportional to the amount that is consumed as well as the kind. According to Petful, one square of unsweetened baking chocolate is equivalent to twenty-three individually wrapped milk chocolate drops in terms of the amount of damage it may do to a ten-pound cat. You shouldn’t risk exposing your cat to a potentially fatal condition by allowing it to consume even a trace quantity of chocolate.
Help — My Cat Ate Chocolate! What Symptoms Should I Watch For?
Bring your cat to the veterinarian or an animal emergency facility as soon as possible, just like you would do in the event of any other kind of medical emergency, so that they can establish the severity of the poisoning and provide treatment. After treatment, you should continue to watch your cat for any further signs of illness to be sure the medication has been eliminated entirely from her system. A few of the adverse consequences of chocolate poisoning have been noted above; however, there is a wide variety of indications that may occur, ranging from moderate to severe:
- Rapid beating of the heart
- An extreme need for liquids
- Excessive urination
- A rise in the internal temperature of the body
- To breathe quickly or to pant rapidly
- Muscle tremors or twitching
- A lowering in the blood pressure
Bring your cat to the veterinarian or an animal emergency facility as soon as possible, just like you would do in the event of any other kind of medical emergency, so that they can establish the severity of the poisoning and provide treatment. After treatment, you should continue to watch your cat for any further signs of illness to be sure the medication has been eliminated entirely from her system.
What Happens Next?
Maintain as much composure as you can since cats are very attuned to the feelings of the people who care for them as pets. In order to prevent the symptoms of chocolate poisoning from becoming more severe, it is important to keep the person cold, calm, and in a quiet environment.
As soon as you come at the clinic, the veterinarian will inspect your cat in order to determine the quantity and kind of chocolate that your cat has consumed before making any recommendations. Depending on the quantity of chocolate that was ingested and the symptoms that are being shown by your cat, the veterinarian may decide to induce vomiting in order to assist prevent your cat from absorbing the toxins. In addition, the veterinarian may decide to administer fluids and other care.
How Do I Prevent This from Happening?
The consumption of chocolate is entirely avoidable if the chocolate is kept out of the reach of the paw. Because cats are naturally inquisitive and unpredictably unpredictable animals who like exploring the kitchen, it is imperative that any and all chocolate be stored in airtight containers. Because chocolate bars aren’t the only item that might make someone ill, you should think about all of the other foods that can include chocolate as well, such as brownies, doughnuts, cookies, candies, and so on. This is particularly true in the days leading up to significant occasions like Halloween. When you have guests around, put candy dishes in areas that are difficult for your cat to get, and then put them away safely as soon as the party is over. You should now be ready to respond with an emphatic “no” to a question from a visitor who inquires as to whether or not cats can consume chocolate.
What should you do if your cat eats chocolate? Call your veterinarian or the closest veterinary facility right away if your pet eats chocolate. You can induce vomiting in your cat to improve your chances of surviving.
- Find out more: Can cats eat human food?