Are Marshmallows Safe for Dogs to Eat?

Marshmallows are one of those sweets that are notoriously difficult to say no to, and it’s next to impossible to eat just one at a time. But, are marshmallows safe for dogs to eat? The correct response is “no.” Even if your dog is able to eat some marshmallows, you should probably steer clear of the treat since it isn’t in your dog’s best interest. Marshmallows are composed of sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, and vanilla essence, and they are covered with either cornstarch or confectioners’ sugar. They provide virtually little in the way of nutritional value or health advantages, if any at all.

Xylitol in Marshmallows

According to Dr. Carly Fox, a staff doctor at the Animal Medical Center in New York City, if the marshmallow contains xylitol (an artificial sugar), it is absolutely toxic to your dog and can be extremely harmful, even if only ingested in small quantities. This is the case even if the dog only consumes a very small amount. According to Dr. Fox, xylitol consumption may result in dangerously low blood sugar, which can cause the dog to have convulsions or possibly pass away if the condition is not appropriately handled. It has been shown that it is hazardous to the liver even many days after it has been ingested.

Because of the very high concentration of sugar and calories that marshmallows have, they should be avoided at all costs by diabetic dogs and dogs struggling with their weight. Sugary treats, even if given to a dog that is otherwise healthy, may contribute to obesity, which in turn can increase the risk of diabetes by increasing insulin resistance.

When it comes to marshmallows that do not contain xylitol, both Dr. Fox and Dr. Lucas White, a veterinarian working at Sunset Veterinarian Clinic in Edmond, Oklahoma, concur that consuming an excessive amount of these marshmallows might result in gastrointestinal distress. Your canine companion will most likely display symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, and loss of appetite. Your dog may be at risk for pancreatitis if these symptoms persist for more than one to two days. Pancreatitis is a painful inflammation of the pancreas. Your canine friend may also display other symptoms, such as ataxia (an uncoordinated walk) or seizures, if he has consumed marshmallows that contain xylitol. These symptoms have been listed above.

What to Do if Your Dog Ate Multiple Marshmallows

If your dog eats more than one marshmallow, you should immediately contact your pet’s veterinarian. If the dog has consumed the marshmallows within the last couple of hours, your veterinarian would most likely opt to induce vomiting in order to avoid prolonged gastrointestinal discomfort, pancreatitis, and gastrointestinal blockage.

It is never a good idea to provide sweet treats to your dog as rewards for good behavior. Although these sweets may not seem to be dangerous right now, that might easily alter in the future. Avoiding marshmallows is the best course of action. Instead, choose treats that are better for your dog’s health, such as carrots, green vegetables, blueberries, and other foods that have a higher nutritional value, like these.

Find out more: Do Dogs Consume Bones?

If your dog unintentionally consumes a lot of Marshmallows, keep an eye on him and take him to the veterinarian right away if anything seems off. Follow the website to update new posts

Michael Hogan

San Gabriel Valley California Bird Seed Delivery. Huge selection of Pet and Wild Seed & Food. Free delivery. Pick up option also avaulable.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button