7 Human Foods That Can Kill Dogs

Knowing which things are actually harmful to dogs can help you keep them away from them when you keep them as pets. Many families still raise pets in extremely organized ways nowadays. Certain foods can be extremely harmful to dogs. You should be aware to avoid the following “7 human meals that can be lethal to dogs.”

7 Human Foods That Can Kill Dogs


Avocados contain a toxin known as persin, which is entirely harmless for humans but very toxic to dogs.

Because it may be present in avocado fruit, pits, leaves, and bark, you should avoid feeding your dog any part of the plant.

If a dog consumes them, fluid may build up in the lungs and chest. This may make breathing difficult for them, resulting in oxygen deprivation and even death.

Fluid may also build up in the heart, pancreas, and abdomen, leading to severe life-threatening problems.

A dog may also consume an avocado pit by mistake, causing choking or a blockage in the digestive system.


In dogs, eating any part of the avocado plant may cause serious health issues and even death.


Candy, chewing gum, toothpaste, and baked items all contain xylitol, a sugar alcohol.

Although it is considered safe for human eating, it may be fatal to dogs.

The consumption of xylitol-containing foods may cause a considerable reduction in a dog’s blood sugar.

Within 30 minutes of ingestion, symptoms such as vomiting, weakness, sadness, trouble moving, unconsciousness, and seizures often appear.

Xylitol may eventually cause liver damage and death.


A dog’s blood sugar might decrease dramatically if he eats xylitol-containing meals. This has the potential to cause health issues, liver failure, and death.

Tea, coffee, other caffeine

Caffeine may be found in coffee, tea, chocolate, and the South American plant guarana.

It’s also often found in soft drinks and pharmaceuticals.

Caffeine stimulates the neurological system and speeds up the heart rate in dogs.

Dogs may develop restlessness, increased thirst, a loss of bladder control, vomiting, and diarrhea within 2–4 hours after taking caffeine.

If dogs consume too much caffeine, they may develop irregular cardiac rhythms or lung failure, both of which may result in death.

Caffeine is rapidly absorbed by a dog’s system, resulting in moderate effects at 9 mg per pound (20 mg per kg) of body weight and convulsions at 27 mg per pound (60 mg per kg) and beyond.

To give you a sense of scale, an average cup of brewed coffee has around 95 mg.

Several incidences of mortality in dogs have been documented as a result of a caffeine overdose.


Caffeine use in dogs may result in irregular cardiac rhythms or lung failure, which can lead to death. Caffeine-containing beverages such as coffee, tea, and other beverages should be kept away from dogs.

Grapes and raisins

Dogs may be poisoned by grapes and raisins.

They may induce renal failure quickly, which can be lethal.

Grapes contain unknown harmful chemicals, but even little quantities may make your dog unwell.

Toxic levels vary from dog to dog, but according to one research that looked over 169 complaints, some dogs died after eating only a handful of raisins.

As a result, any amount consumed should be treated extremely carefully.

It’s crucial to remember that poisoning may occur from eating grapes and raisins uncooked or as components in baked products like cookies, cakes, and snack bars. Keep an eye out for symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea, exhaustion, and depression.

Signs of renal failure, such as extreme thirst and a lack of urine output, may follow.


Dogs are particularly harmful to grapes and raisins. Kidney failure, which may be deadly, can be caused by even modest levels.

Alcohol and yeast dough

Alcohol may be present in alcoholic drinks, fragrances, mouthwash, paint, varnish, and a number of cleaning solutions, among other things.

While people may tolerate tiny quantities of alcohol on occasion, dogs are unable to do so.

Tiredness, sadness, loss of muscular coordination, low body temperature, poor breathing, vomiting, and diarrhea are common symptoms that appear within an hour after intake.

Too much alcohol in a dog’s system may cause lung failure, convulsions, coma, and even death.

Accidental intake of alcoholic drinks is the most common cause of alcohol poisoning in dogs.

However, after consuming a significant quantity of rotting apples, a dog died of alcohol toxicity.

It’s also a problem if a dog consumes yeast-containing uncooked dough. As the yeast cells ferment, they create alcohol, which raises the blood alcohol level of the dog and may lead to alcohol poisoning and death.

Furthermore, the dough expands in a dog’s stomach, resulting in significant bloating. This puts strain on the surrounding organs and makes breathing difficult for the dog.

It’s crucial to never give your dog uncooked yeast dough or alcohol. Raw dough should be kept out of reach of children and alcoholic drinks should not be left unattended.


Consumption of alcohol by a dog might result in major health issues and even death. If a dog consumes uncooked yeast dough, this may also happen.


Chocolate includes the stimulants theobromine and caffeine, which are very difficult for dogs to digest.

Chocolate consumption in dogs may result in stomach discomfort, vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration.

Heart attacks, internal hemorrhage, muscular spasms, seizures, and death may all occur as a result of these symptoms.

The severity of the adverse effects is determined on the size of the dog and the amount and kind of chocolate ingested.

The more harmful chocolate is to your dog, the darker and less sweet it is. The most harmful kinds are unsweetened baker’s chocolate and cocoa powder.

Dogs may display symptoms after consuming as little as 18 mg per pound (40 mg per kg) of body weight, according to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

To put it another way, a 44-pound (20-kg) dog might be poisoned by as little as 0.03 ounces (720 milligrams) of chocolate.

Chocolate poisoning is particularly prevalent in dogs around holidays such as Valentine’s Day, Easter, Halloween, and Christmas, possibly because humans keep chocolate on hand at these times.

It is critical to keep chocolate out of reach at all times, regardless of the occasion.


Chocolate consumption in dogs may result in a variety of health issues and even death. The more poisonous chocolate is, the darker it gets.


Salt toxicity or water deprivation in dogs may occur when they consume too much salt.

Neurological problems, cerebral edema, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, fever, and seizures are all possible side effects. In extreme circumstances, it may potentially be lethal.

A dosage of 2–3 grams per kilogram of body weight may be hazardous to dogs, and 4 grams per kilogram can be deadly, according to the American College of Veterinary Pharmacists.

As a result, giving your dog salty foods like pretzels, popcorn, or chips is not a smart idea.

It’s also critical that your dog has constant access to fresh drinking water.


Too much salt in the diet may lead to water shortage in dogs, which can be fatal. Feeding your dog salty foods should be avoided, and fresh drinking water should always be provided.

Other foods that can harm your dog

Although the following foods have not been confirmed to be lethal to dogs, they may nonetheless cause damage.

To be safe, you should avoid giving your dog the following foods:

  • Garlic, onions, and chives.  These substances may harm a dog’s red blood cells, resulting in anemia. Your dog may need a blood transfusion in extreme circumstances.
  • Macadamia nuts are a kind of nut. These contain an unknown poison that may cause dogs to become weak, tremble, and vomit. Macadamia nuts may induce pancreatitis, or an inflamed pancreas, due to their high fat content.
  • Apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, and plums are some of the fruits available. Their seeds or pits are dangerous because they contain cyanide. Consumption of them may result in a variety of significant adverse effects, including intestinal issues.


Onions, garlic, chives, macadamia nuts, and pitted fruits are all potentially dangerous to your dog.

What to do if your dog ingests harmful food?

Keeping these items out of reach is the greatest method to guarantee your dog doesn’t consume anything hazardous.

To reduce the danger, don’t leave these foods on counters or tables, in handbags, or anywhere else where your dog may get to them.

Keep in mind that the amounts of these harmful chemicals vary across items. Because the amount of chocolate in a Snickers bar differs from that in a Ghirardelli bar, the lethal dosages of these two bars would be different.

If you suspect your dog has consumed anything poisonous, contact your veterinarian or the pet poison hotline right away. Even if the quantity they ate seems to be less than the dangerous level stated above, you should contact for expert advice on how to care for your pet.

Treatment will depend on your dog’s symptoms as well as the sort of food he or she was exposed to.

You should never treat or medicate a dog without first consulting a professional veterinarian.


Consult your veterinarian or contact the pet poison hotline if your dog has eaten anything poisonous.

The bottom line

Some foods that are good for humans, like the seven stated above, are extremely harmful to dogs.

The simplest way to avoid food poisoning is to feed your dog just dog food and keep human foods out of reach. If your dog ate anything it shouldn’t have, call your vet or the pet poison hotline right away.

Thank you for reading the website article.

Michael Hogan

San Gabriel Valley California Bird Seed Delivery. Huge selection of Pet and Wild Seed & Food. Free delivery. Pick up option also avaulable.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button